When is it worthy to make a whistleblowing case according to OUS` management?
I did not know what whistle-blowing was at first, but I acted according to my values and morality as a human being, because I could not tolerate any more what my leader did. These are the words of a former ph.d.-student at OUS.
UNWORTHY? When OUS` legal department thinks it was unworthy to take legal action, did they keep any other option for me, this is what I went through and OUS think ‘’it is unworthy’’, a former ph.d.-student at OUS writes.
Mr. Moland said ‘’unjustified lawsuit against OUS has caused the hospital real cost. OUS questions how a researcher took a legal action?’’
• Read in Uniforum: Millionregning etter varslersak
Did OUS let any other option in front of me? I did not know what whistle-blowing was at first, but I acted according to my values and morality as a human being, because I could not tolerate any more what my leader did, I picked up the phone and called the director-assistant and then sent him email. I wanted the hospital management to solve the bad working environment in VML, but what the management did was moving people who got harmed in this lab to other labs and put many lawyers and wasted enormous resources to defend this leader and fight me with all possibilities trying to destroy my future as a researcher.
I have waited OUS management for 1 year, waiting so called ‘’investigation’’ started from top HR (April 2015 until 30 March 2016) where my complaint to the director-assistant resulted in a promise with serious action investigating 1) destroying my research materials and 2) the working environment in VML. This was clear written in email explaining how many persons got harmed in this lab and the leader’s discriminating strategy.
When OUS` legal department thinks it was unworthy to take legal action, did they keep any other option for me, this is what I went through and OUS think ‘’it is unworthy’’:
- It is normal that the group leader punishes his student and takes her grant and pushes her to finish PhD in one year instead of 3 and forbid her from working on topic that she liked and waited for 2 years to start what she considered ‘’her dream project’’.
- It is normal to destroy important research material for PhD-student
- It is normal that investigation ordered from top OUS-HR took one year, ended with the group leader investigating himself without asking the researcher or any person in VML about working environment (put in mind that this investigation was in response to whistleblowing to OUS-management)
- It is normal that OUS management and legal department refuses to get external investigator in response to comments from Ombudsman, Professor of medical ethics, researcher and Forskerforbundet’’. They all urged OUS management to get external investigation, and this one year investigation is not accepted because it is just a leader investigating himself ….but the shocking answer from legal department ‘’ The essence of the report would not be changed’’ again I emphasize this happened after whistleblowing to OUS-management opposite what judges understood.
- It is normal that OUS management and legal department refuse the requirement of researcher to get her name on reports and protocols she wrote by herself (for more than 1.5 year work for Biopharma) and her supervisor delete her name and submitted on his name alone in spite she was the only doing all the work. ‘’again, I emphasis this happened after whistleblowing to OUS-management.’’
- It is normal that the group leader and legal department accuse researcher for illegal use of patient samples (this happened after whistle-blowing to hospital management, not as judges misunderstood, and judges stated it was a wrong accusation)
- It is normal to block and delay submission of articles of the PhD-student using false accusations.
- It is normal to break promises and give a researcher 6 months work without salary and send back more than 1.5 million leftovers of her PhD-grant to HSO in spite of the HSO-director stated that it was easy and normal to extend for researcher if she need to finish her publication (this happened after whistle-blowing to hospital management, not as judges misunderstood)
- It is normal to forbid researcher from working in hospital and read in library (this happened after whistle-blowing to hospital management, not as judges misunderstood)
- It is normal that OUS-management together with UiO-leader try to destroy reputation of researcher by accusing her publicly in the court for plagiarism (putting in mind that judges in appeal court stated that ‘’this was unfair’’ )
What surprises me is that OUS` legal department who established Varsling system after my case and put themselves to be the contact person for anyone who wants to go for Varsling, is still fighting the whistleblower and insists on charging the student/researcher with 800 000 NOK, putting in mind that the legal department have a clear picture of how many persons got harmed and went on sick leave in VML, how many asked to change their working place, still they want to punish the researcher who alarmed them, but failed to prove the alert to her leader and lost the case.
I want to ask Moland one simple question: Do you think any researcher will dare to contact you and alert you after the way you have been treating the whistle-blower at OUS? The simple answer is: no one!
(Uniforum knows the identity of the former ph.d.-student)
(Oslo University Hospital (OUS) has been offered the opportunity to reply to this letter)